Tips for Professional Head Shots
- Take some time to plan clothing for your head shot a few days before, selecting clothing that make you look and feel good.
- Consider the image you are trying to project with your portrait. Are you seeking a job? Enlisting for online dating? Each of these will influence what you wear. For instance, if you are an actress, you may want to wear a classic, solid-colored subdued shirt which really draws attention to your face. Using profile imagery for online dating? Choose something that really represents who you are.
- Come to the shoot well-rested and hydrated.
- Men need to be clean shaven/no 5 o'clock shadow
- The standard business look is a suit jacket, dress shirt and tie
- A casual business look is often a jacket and open dress shirt, shirt and tie (no jacket) or dress shirt on it's own
- Polo shirts are a good look for some businesses. Be sure the shirt is in good condition and fits well
- For a no-jacket casual look, bring colored shirts - ideally darker than your skin tone
- A white dress shirt by itself is a bad idea - a colorful shirt is better.
- Bring a few different jackets, shirt colors and ties so we have choices for the photo
- Avoid big prints and busy patterns
- Different necklines will change the apparent shape of your face. Bring a variety different shirts/blouses to see what works best
- For a no-jacket casual look, bring various colored blouses - ideally darker than your skin tone
- Be stylish and fashionable, but remember the picture is about your face and not your clothes or jewelry
- NOT RECOMMENDED: Sleeveless tops/dresses can draw attention to your shoulders/arms. (Consider bringing items with a variety of different sleeves)
HAIR AND MAKEUP
- PROFESSIONAL HAIR AND MAKEUP IS ALWAYS RECOMMENDED. It makes a big difference! OUR MAKEUP ARTIST REFERRAL IS: Azure Schaffer (602) 432-3304
- hair: If you color your hair, make sure you have your roots touched up a few days to a couple of week before your session. Dark roots are amplified in photographs since we are lighting your face and not the top of your head.
- skin: It's always a good idea to exfoliate your skin the day before your session. Also, be sure to drink a lot of water the night before and get your beauty rest!
- lipstick: If you use a liner, use the same or a similar color as your lipstick. Finish with a bit of shine of gloss in the center of your lips as a highlight.
- brows: Make sure your brows are well groomed. Tweeze stray hairs on your brow the night before your session so that it will not look red or swollen the day of your shoot.
- lashes: Be sure to curl your lashes before applying mascara. Do not apply too much mascara. Wearing too much creates unsightly buildup and makes your eyes appear smaller than they are.